Friday, April 27, 2012

Springtime Herbs...

In our new kitchen, we have a beautiful bay window that is perfect for growing herbs, ready to be picked whenever I need a fresh sprig for my cooking.  Love that!  That got me looking for inspiration on herb gardens, both inside and out.  I thought you might like to see what I found. Enjoy!


Pinned Image
I love herbs mixed with copper!

Pinned Image
European-style herb garden...

Pinned Image
This is similar to my kitchen window area (although this one is nicer!)

Pinned Image

Going vertical!

This is a shot of some of some of my herbs shortly after planting them last Spring.  They were perched on an outer window sill right outside my kitchen in our house in Munich. 
They got a lot of direct sun here and thrived and I could easily open the window and pluck whatever I  needed...so yummy.


Pinned Image
The urban herb garden...perhaps in Brooklyn?
(I was going to guess Stockholm until I saw the electrical outlet)

Pinned Image


Pinned Image

Pinned Image

I love these moss covered herb pots!

Pinned Image
With vintage tins - how sweet!


Take a Tour
This is Martha Stewart's Herb Garden, divided by hedges...not bad.  :)


I thought this Herb Garden kit makes a beautiful gift.  Yep, it's Martha again!


herb garden borders
sunset.com


via Space for Inspiration blog


I usually plant rosemary, lemon thyme, basil and mint (chocolate mint this year) every Spring.  I always add sage even though I never cook with it - I just love those silvery green leaves!  I am thinking of trying my hand at cilantro this year too.  I think chives and dill should be in the mix also.  Hmmm...that is going to be a full kitchen window sill!

Do you plant an herb garden?  If so what do you plant?

If you enjoyed this post you might also like to read my post Herb-Infused.

Sources (unless otherwise noted)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the tea tins on the window. Everything looks so fresh! I'm ready to do some gardening this weekend.

debra @ 5th and state said...

great ideas barbara!

of course that is martha's garden, so perfect. wouldn't you love a staff to keep your herb gardens so pristine,
i would!
happy gardening
debra

The Buzz Blog said...

I was just thinking that with my kitchen renovation, I need a nice deep windowsill for her pots. Love that urban herb planting! Happy weekend, Barbara.
xxoo

The Vintique Object said...

Hey Barbara, I think there's no better addition to a kitchen! How cute are those herb napkin rings?

Camille

I Dream Of said...

How lovely to have a space for herbs right in your kitchen - mine are in containers on our back porch, so almost as close at hand. The rosemary and thyme flourish all year long. The chives and oregano have come back beautifully and the pots of mint have sprouted. We'll be re-planting basil (although the slugs ate more than we did last year) and parsley, tarragon and chervil.
Enjoy the weekend, Barbara! Hope the sun comes out from behind the clouds and shines through that window! XO

Haus and Home said...

I wish my kitchen had a window to grow herbs. Mine are outside in little pots. This year I bought something new called boxwood basil so I am curious to see if I can keep it looking like a boxwood and keep it trimmed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...